INTRODUCTION TO LIST A
List A Barristers is Australia’s leading list of commercial and public law barristers. Our barristers share a commitment to the values of independence, professional excellence, responsiveness, commerciality and intellectual rigour.
Formed in 1990 by several leading commercial barristers, List A has amongst its members the most distinguished leaders of the commercial and public law Bar.
To engage Counsel or discuss availability please contact David Andrews, Senior Barristers’ Clerk on +61 3 9225 8444. David has almost 30 years’ experience as a solicitor and an understanding of complex commercial litigation combined with an in-depth knowledge of the expertise and experience of List A Barristers.
Corporate Counsel and International Law Firms
List A barristers can be briefed directly by in-house counsel and by international law firms without restriction and without the need for an interposing solicitor. When in-house counsel require urgent strategic and tactical advice, briefing members of List A directly provides immediate access to Australia’s most highly-regarded barristers.
In certain circumstances our barristers will accept instructions from the broader community, subject to the provisions of the Legal Profession Uniform Conduct (Barristers) Rules 2015, which determine when and how this can occur.
OPINIONS AND ADVICES
ARBITRATION AND MEDIATION
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
List A was Australia’s first barrister-owned clerking business. It was formed in 1990 as a specialist commercial and public law group of barristers and is now renowned nationally and internationally for the skills and expertise of its members. Many of its members have subsequently been appointed to judicial and other prominent public offices.
The List is managed by committed and highly professional staff who report to a Committee of 7 elected List members, who also serve as directors of the company which manages the clerking business and employs its staff.
The Committee members are:
– to be the first clerk instructors call, especially Melbourne-based solicitors and instructors, but also interstate solicitors looking for top commercial barristers;
– to provide an efficient, cost-effective & courteous service to members of the List;
– to provide and be known throughout the legal profession for providing prompt, responsive, courteous & knowledgeable assistance to instructors;
– to enhance & improve the services provided to members;
– to enhance & build upon the reputation of members of the List for the benefit of the List membership as a whole;
– to attract applicants of the highest calibre to apply to join the List; and
– to engage staff in the List office capable of achieving these aims.
The legal profession’s high regard for members of List A is reflected in the appointments of many former members to judicial office.
The Honourable Justices:-
– Mordecai Bromberg
– David O’Callaghan
– Simon Steward
– Michael O’Bryan
– Paul Anastassiou
Supreme Court of Victoria
The Honourable Justices:
– Robert Osborn (Reserve Judge)
– Karin Emerton
– Michael Sifris
– Peter Almond
– John Dixon
– Cameron Macaulay
– James Elliott
– Matthew Connock
The Honourable Associate Justices:-
– Mark Derham
– Nemeer Mukhtar
The Honourable Judge:
– Ted Woodward
To engage Counsel or discuss availability of barristers, please contact
David Andrews, Barristers’ Clerk
on +61 3 9225 8444.
David has almost 30 years’ experience as a solicitor, and has a comprehensive understanding of complex commercial disputes and litigation. His detailed knowledge of the expertise and experience of List A’s barristers will assist you to brief appropriate counsel for your matters.